1025 Four Minute's Warning, Part II

Four Minute's Warning, Part II

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

• 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
Four Minute's Warning, Part II
June 6, 2005

Stallion's Gate, New Mexico

Sam has leapt again, but this time further towards his own time than ever before?in fact, only minutes before his own time in the future. With his beloved project in ruins and all of his friends and colleagues presumed dead, Sam attempts a rescue. Thinking he is alone, he is surprised when another from the project joins him and does everything in his power to get Sam away from Stallion's Gate.

Written by: Sue Johnson

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Our rating system this season consisted of six raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode.

Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.19

WARNING!
Some reviews contain spoilers!
If you want to remain surprised, do not go further!

Some of the comments given were:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Valery S. Gemini said:
It wasn't a rollercoaster but a plane, but last week I was right: we were bound for a hectic ride. The "proud of France and Europe's big achievements" part of myself became a bit touchy when reading about our yet-to-fly A380 meeting the same fate than the Titanic... but my pride was restored when Sam managed a safe landing with only one running engine left out of four!

Did Sinjin & Tyler die after the Airbus hit their car instead of PQL buildings? Despite being used to "time displacement parodies" & various paradoxes of the QL kind, I still can't figure it out. Sam says he "traded lives" (like in TLH2 I guess?) so -are they both dead now in the "current Project timeframe"? Who will replace St-J then?

Poor Sam also had to suffer his most cruel moment in recent VS history: revelations about his family, meeting Donna, and her recognizing him 1/2 second before the Leap-out. I will never understand this "never reveal who you really are" rule, even if it was Sam's own decision right from the start. But why can't this rule be broken in such a situation - after all this wouldn't be the first time! Surely, Sue has written this scene just to make ME shed another tear about the "Loneliness of the Long-Time Leaper"?

Finally, on the lighter side: even after my comment in a recent review about my hatred of snakes, they are back, even more threatening! Hope this part of the story will not induce another of those nightmares I used to have years ago.

I'll repeat what I said last week: Sue Johnson is THE BEST NEW VS WRITER.

P.S. K.O.L.!!!

RATING: 9.95

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
I would rate FOUR MINUTE'S WARNING, Part 2 a 9 (This was a great story. Will definitely tell others about it.)

This was a fitting conclusion to the first part, will this mean that Sinjin won't be in the stories anymore? Great job.

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris Finkle said:
I thought this was a very interesting idea to play around with, but I did have one minor... well, not really gripe, but more like a concern...

Even with the "bad influence" of Tyler affecting his judgment, I find it a tiny bit hard to accept that Edward St. John would have just run off with him after being involved with the Project for... how many? 3 years now? I would also think it wouldn't be that easy to just get up and resign from a top-secret government project without a good explanation to the higher-ups either.

The only other thing I would say is that I personally felt that this story could have been completely separate from Sue's "real-life" story from Part 1. Although I do understand what her intentions were: Sam was forced to put the first leap (Part 1) on hold to save PQL (Part 2), then go back and finish what he started.

All that aside, this was still an excellent well-written 2-parter. And I understand the time-travel paradox to a certain degree: Sam leaped into St. John and yet didn't. After changing history, St. John and Tyler died BEFORE the "other" Sam could leap into him, which is why Al and Ziggy have no memory of the "other" timeline. Not TOO difficult to figure out! ;)

Looks like we all have to wait anxiously for Helen's 3-parter, in which she'll introduce the replacements for St. John and Tyler. I have a feeling the roller-coaster ride is gonna continue into the end of the season.

St. John is dead! Long live St. John!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
No comment given.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sparky said:
No comment given.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kazzi said:
Unable to rate.

RATING: NR

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
SPOILER WARNING!!

Well, Sue, I have to say, Part II was certainly... um... interesting... poor, poor Edward... may he rest in peace.

Let's see if I can figure out this one...

Time-Travel Lesson #3: Sam leaps into Edward St. John VI mere minutes into the past, after a plane crashes into the Project, destroying Ziggy and killing everyone else. St. John is in the Waiting Room a few minutes ahead of Sam. Sam falls into the chasm and leaps out, leaving St. John to plummet to his death.

Sam then leaps into the pilot on the plane an hour earlier. He diverts the plane onto the runway and saves PQL. The car carrying St. John and Tyler accidentally crashes into the plane as they're leaving the Project, causing them both to die BEFORE St. John was leaped into by Sam the first time. Which means that Sam now DIDN'T leap into St. John, and he did not plummet to his death... um... only he still dies... and "our" Ziggy and Al have no knowledge of anything that happened... even though they're an hour ahead of Sam... because an hour ago they were still dead in relative time... um... huh?!?!?!?

Lesson learned: Don't try to figure out time-travel paradoxes. It causes brain meltdown! :p

Actually, I'm just playing up the confusion bit... I understand it completely... almost... ;)

Last edited:
Whilst I take the point about St John's sudden and seemingly easy elopement from PQL, I don't think it is as unrealistic as it may first appear.
Love makes people do crazy and unpredictable things, and having found someone who could return his affection as Al could not, the temptation to leave would be very strong.
As for resigning - whose to say he was that up-front about it?
He doesn't survive to face the consequences of his departure, but would probably not think about that, caught up in the moment.
I think Sue showed to some extent that St John did find it a wrench to leave, even though a lot of the comments came from Sam's perspective.
Personally, I am glad to see the end of him, I never liked him (no disrespect intended to those writers who developed the character - but he was such a stereotypical Brit, and we are nothing like that!)

Once again, I must say publicly what I have told Sue privately - I really liked this story, and I think she portrays our heroes with a tremendous depth of sympathy for their characters, the way they think and act.
IMHO writers like Sue, MJ, Matt and Co get the characterisation far more accurately than the so called "professional" writers of the official novels.
Give me fanfic every time!