Scott and Dean on TV

LadyKayoss, here's the gist. Luminarias was a very low budget but important little film. "Important" because it was one of the first movies in fairly wide release produced entirely within the Latino community (around 2000). Low budget in the sense that the producers basically borrowed locations to film in, and would show dailies to investors to get money to continue the project. All of the extras were family of the director, writer, and producer, so they didn't have to pay them. They talk about how they flagged this random guy down on the street and asked if they could use his truck in the movie! It's based on a stage play about 4 Latina women in LA looking for love, and how they see themselves as Latinas dealing with the wider community. The entire cast and most of the crew were Latino/a, except for one character, a Jewish lawyer (SB) that the lead character falls for.
So on the DVD behind the scenes extras, there's an interview with the producer, Juan Luis Valenzuela, and the director/star, Sal Lopez, where they tell this story: The script crosses SB's desk (along with hundreds of others) and he's intrigued by the script and the spirit of the project. He calls the producers and asks to meet with them. He wants to see if they like each other and can work together. So JLV and SL go to SB's office. They talk and, according to the interview, they find him nice and charming, perfect for the role of Joseph. SB says, well, if you like me, I'm happy to do the picture. JLV says, Do you maybe have a sample tape so we can see some of your work? SB goes, Um, okay, let me talk to my secretary, see if she can dig something up for you. He goes out and gets something (they don't say what he gave them). They shake hands and JLV and SL go out to the car. The director is ecstatic; he keeps shouting, We got Scott Bakula! We got Scott Bakula! The producer says, Yeah, we got Scott Bakula. (beat) Who's Scott Bakula?
They're cracking up at this point in the interview, and the producer says, Of course, after I looked at the tape, I couldn't turn on the TV without seeing the guy. I had no idea who he was, and I asked him for a tape!
They were obviously so impressed that SB didn't go all diva on them (What do you mean do I have a tape? Don't you know who I am?) He was just really humble and never let on that he was this big star. The producer goes, Boy did I feel stupid!
Luminarias isn't a great movie, but it was very well received in the Latino community; it really hit home for Latino/as (kind of like Waiting to Exhale did for the black community). Probably the reason it got funded, finished, and released was because of SB's name on it.
By the way, SB talks about the "audition tape" conversation in his interview, and you can tell he thinks it's the funniest thing in the world.

They were obviously so impressed that SB didn't go all diva on them (What do you mean do I have a tape? Don't you know who I am?) He was just really humble and never let on that he was this big star. The producer goes, Boy did I feel stupid!
Luminarias isn't a great movie, but it was very well received in the Latino community; it really hit home for Latino/as (kind of like Waiting to Exhale did for the black community). Probably the reason it got funded, finished, and released was because of SB's name on it.
By the way, SB talks about the "audition tape" conversation in his interview, and you can tell he thinks it's the funniest thing in the world.

That is soooooo Scott!

Have you seen the wind up Dean pulled on him with the 'students' filming the QL time change trailer?
They throw all these problems at him, cos they are 'amateurs' and he doesn't storm off in a huff.
Then some guy comes in and says they have to go cos the check for the studio time bounced or something, and Scott is just like "Oh, come on, give these guys a break, how much is it, let me pop to an ATM machine!"
The man is a solid gold saint!!!!

I remember when that Bloopers episode aired. I think I started my love affair with SB at that exact moment. The look on his face when he asks the "students" how much they owe, and they say something like $500, is priceless. Then, bless him, he responds with, I can write a check and you guys can pay me back when you get the money. I think the clip is in the Video Library.

LOL, that is a cute little story. :) Poor Scott; it must have been a blow to his ego to not even be recognized. Good thing he's not one of those Hollywood divas.

And I can't wait to see the bloopers... I can't download the media files here, but I just placed an inquiry about getting the CDs.

Samantha Beckett said:
Yes, there are. I found a couple that tvhound neglected to tell me (curse them!) and added them to my list on the last page. But there will be one tomorrow morning at 2:30am EST, and one Sunday morning at 3:00am EST.

Samantha Beckett

well i just watched the one from this morning on my tape and Scott was not in it, whatever you got that from made a mistake.

Did anyone record In The Name of the People? I missed both showings this week. If so, could you email me? Thanks. I really want to see this movie, but can't find it anywhere.

bluedana said:
Did anyone record In The Name of the People? I missed both showings this week. If so, could you email me? Thanks. I really want to see this movie, but can't find it anywhere.

i and my best friend have been having the same problem, and i too missed both showings, so if you have info for bluedana could you please also pass it on to me, thankies, would be real appriciated.:cheers

Sam Beckett Fan said:
well i just watched the one from this morning on my tape and Scott was not in it, whatever you got that from made a mistake.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but here's what happened. On another thread, someone had listed all the episodes that IMDB listed as Peter Hunt episodes. One of the episodes listed on that thread was the one that we're talking about, but apparently IMBD was wrong. They are prone to doing that. We'll see if the one Sunday morning is a Peter ep.

Samantha Beckett

Okay, so I watched the Scott episode of "Designing Women" this morning (barely worth it; he was only in it for about three minutes and had like one line) and I noticed something: the girl who played his daughter looked awfully familiar, so I just looked her up and discovered that she played Billie Jean Crockett! Go figure.

LadyKayoss said:
Okay, so I watched the Scott episode of "Designing Women" this morning (barely worth it; he was only in it for about three minutes and had like one line) and I noticed something: the girl who played his daughter looked awfully familiar, so I just looked her up and discovered that she played Billie Jean Crockett! Go figure.

he was in it this morning! ahhhh shoot, i knew it! something inside me was scolding me for not setting my tape for this morning! :protest

Sam Beckett Fan said:
he was in it this morning! ahhhh shoot, i knew it! something inside me was scolding me for not setting my tape for this morning! :protest

Don't be too upset; like I said, he was barely in it, he had like one or two lines and only about three minutes of screen time.

Make sure you don't miss tonight's MB, however; if it's the one I think it is, Peter's going to get his shirt ripped off...

I seem to remember Dean being in an episode of ER, along with Mandy Patinkin. I saw it in its first run on the network, but this has been several years ago. Thought I would mention it.

That was Chicago Hope, and it was a GREAT episode!! Dean was Mandy's lawyer. My favorite line, "Why is no one wearing any pants?" :lol

OH...also thought I'd add....Dean will be in two episodes of Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi. The first one airs this coming weekend.

LadyKayoss said:
Don't be too upset; like I said, he was barely in it, he had like one or two lines and only about three minutes of screen time.

Make sure you don't miss tonight's MB, however; if it's the one I think it is, Peter's going to get his shirt ripped off...

whooo hooo, i forgot all about my tape, i saw finding nemo on ice today and now i am watching the movie. after it's ovr i'll watch my MB tape. yay.:hurray:

LadyKayoss said:

Lothos messed me up again!! :realmad I had my tape where i could fit in one last half hour show before it ended (i've been avidly recording stuff since 7th grade, so im able to measure the tape in the little window thingy, lol...but apparently not that well), and right when it got to the GOOD part of the ep, the tape stopped and started to rewind...with like 5 minutes left in the ep! :banghead :banghead :banghead Curse you Lothos...you've struck again!

Samantha Beckett

Samantha Beckett said:
Lothos messed me up again!! :realmad I had my tape where i could fit in one last half hour show before it ended (i've been avidly recording stuff since 7th grade, so im able to measure the tape in the little window thingy, lol...but apparently not that well), and right when it got to the GOOD part of the ep, the tape stopped and started to rewind...with like 5 minutes left in the ep! :banghead :banghead :banghead Curse you Lothos...you've struck again!

Samantha Beckett
gee i am sorry to hear that CLaire. but at least you got to see most of it. i just finished watching it and it was awsome. i loved how Murphy and Pete were finally getting together, i mean the way they always bicker says it all, that they belong together hehe.

are you going to keep posting when more of him comes on, becasue tv guide.com doesn't load the episode summory for me, it just sticks on the "loading" sign. :p

New List! Scott and Dean on TV (Feb 27-March 5)

I get these lists every Sunday night, so ill update it every Sunday. Ill prolly wait til Monday to check for Murphy Browns, but I checked and there isn't one this coming morning, so yall are good.

Scott Bakula
:hair He's not on TV :cry

Dean Stockwell
Feb. 28, 2:30pm EST- Air Force One, SHOWTIME
Feb. 28, 6:45am EST- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, HBO
Mar. 1, 12:00am EST- Air Force One, SHOWTIME
Mar. 2, 6:00pm EST- The Manchurian Condidate, SHOWTIME
Mar. 3, 10:00pm EST- Battlestar Galactica, SCIFI
Mar. 4, 1:00am EST- Battlestar Galactica, SCIFI
Mar. 4, 4:30pm EST- Living in Peril, TMC (The Movie Channel)
Mar. 4, 2:00am EST- Miami Vice, TVLAND
Mar. 5, 3:06a, EST- Justice in a Small Town, LMN (Lifetime MOVIE Network)

Samantha Beckett

Samantha Beckett said:
I get these lists every Sunday night, so ill update it every Sunday. Ill prolly wait til Monday to check for Murphy Browns, but I checked and there isn't one this coming morning, so yall are good.

Scott Bakula
:hair He's not on TV :cry

Dean Stockwell
Feb. 28, 2:30pm EST- Air Force One, SHOWTIME
Feb. 28, 6:45am EST- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, HBO
Mar. 1, 12:00am EST- Air Force One, SHOWTIME
Mar. 2, 6:00pm EST- The Manchurian Condidate, SHOWTIME
Mar. 3, 10:00pm EST- Battlestar Galactica, SCIFI
Mar. 4, 1:00am EST- Battlestar Galactica, SCIFI
Mar. 4, 4:30pm EST- Living in Peril, TMC (The Movie Channel)
Mar. 4, 2:00am EST- Miami Vice, TVLAND
Mar. 5, 3:06a, EST- Justice in a Small Town, LMN (Lifetime MOVIE Network)

Samantha Beckett

awww, Scott is not on this week. :cry

hmm, i have tvland, i might check out Miami Vice, i have heard of it before, and i love Dean too. oh and i have showtime too, somewhere, i'll have to flip my channels, (which i hate doing but oh well).

Why is it that the Dean stuff is never on a channel that I can get?!

And it's a pity about Scott... but at least now I won't have to get up at 2:30am.

LadyKayoss said:
Why is it that the Dean stuff is never on a channel that I can get?!

And it's a pity about Scott... but at least now I won't have to get up at 2:30am.

hahaha for me its the exact opposite, its the Scott stuff that i don't get, and a few of the dean stuff too, but i get more of the dean channels than i do Scott, which is a shame cuz Scott's my man, lol.:angel

Word of warning for you all: Tonight's MB episode should be a Peter Hunt episode, so get your tapes ready!

And since we're talking about TV, does anyone know anything about Scott's really early TV appearances, like I-Man and The Infiltrator? I vaguely recall having seen the first one - long before I knew who Scott was - and I've never heard of the second. Are either of them available on tape or DVD?

shoot, did you mean tonight as in this morning, or tonight as in tomorrow morning, please i beg you say you mean tonight as in tomorrow morning!:bow

Sorry; I should have been clearer. If I don't go to sleep, then I consider it 'tonight' rather than 'tomorrow,' even if midnight has passed. Sorry about the confusion. You haven't missed it!

LadyKayoss said:
Sorry; I should have been clearer. If I don't go to sleep, then I consider it 'tonight' rather than 'tomorrow,' even if midnight has passed. Sorry about the confusion. You haven't missed it!

I am the exact same way. I go to bed every night/morning at 2am but its not "tomorrow" until I wake up, lol. I will be getting another update from tvhound and i will post another weeks worth of Scott and Dean tonight.

Samantha Beckett

And since we're talking about TV, does anyone know anything about Scott's really early TV appearances, like I-Man and The Infiltrator?

Try checking Ebay for these. I was able to get a copy of Infiltrator that way and I've seein I-Man listed frequently. The only hitch I've seen with I-Man is that it's usuall a PAL tape or Region 2 DVD which is not compatible with my machines. Luckily a friend of mine was able to loan me the copy someone had made for her and I was able to see it and copy it that way. Of the two, I enjoyed I-Man more than Inflitrator. I just thought it's story line was a bit better. It's a Disney movie so it's very "kid friendly". I have screencaps up for both on my website - http://sbscreencaps.com/infiltrator.htm and http://sbscreencaps.com/i-man.htm.

jmoniz said:
Try checking Ebay for these. I was able to get a copy of Infiltrator that way and I've seein I-Man listed frequently. The only hitch I've seen with I-Man is that it's usuall a PAL tape or Region 2 DVD which is not compatible with my machines. Luckily a friend of mine was able to loan me the copy someone had made for her and I was able to see it and copy it that way. Of the two, I enjoyed I-Man more than Inflitrator. I just thought it's story line was a bit better. It's a Disney movie so it's very "kid friendly". I have screencaps up for both on my website - http://sbscreencaps.com/infiltrator.htm and http://sbscreencaps.com/i-man.htm.

cool captures!
I haven't seen Infiltrator - but now I want to more than ever!

leaper1 said:
cool captures!
I haven't seen Infiltrator - but now I want to more than ever!

Thanks. I've been trying to get captures of as many different things up on the site as I can as well as photos that aren't as readily available anywhere else (or if they are, not in as high a resolution). It's a slow process but an enjoyable one as well.

Infiltrator is...interesting. It's not exactly what I'd call the best thing I've ever seen and the first 15 minutes or so of it is almost painful to watch. Scott's character starts out way over the top - almost cartoonish. Thankfully the character does get more fleshed out by the end and is a lot less irritating.

One of the really interesting things about it, though, is that there are so many small things that you can almost overlook which foreshadown different shows and such that Scott went on to do.

jmoniz said:

I wish I could use eBay... I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open and hope. Was I-Man ever out on a region 1 DVD? Amazon.com has a picture of a DVD case, but said it's unavailable. Or was Infiltrator, for that matter? It may not be the greatest movie, but I'd love to see it.