17. Song and Dance 1998 (Mindy Peterman)

Song and Dance 1998 (Mindy Peterman)

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Fair

• Just Bad

• Total voters
Description
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)

It`s 1978, and Sam Leaped into Noah Ellman, son to Gerda Ellman. Gerda, a former borscht-belt dancer, is just days away from fulfilling her dreams of stardom. If Sam can make sure that her partner Marty shows up for the "You Can Be a Star" talent search.
But Sam has other ideas about the reason for the Leap. Noah is a man woefully lacking in self-confidence. His new employer, Rebecca Wexler, is a young woman hiding a terrible secret.

Publishing Information:
Quantum Leap 17: Song and Dance (Quantum Leap Series)
by Mindy Peterman
Paperback | Berkley | 1998-10-01 | listprice: $6.99
ISBN-10: 0425165779 | ISBN-13: 9780425165775

I'm about halfway through this one; it's well written. She has a good understanding of the characters. Without giving too much away, she does a good job of bringing Gooshie into the story, and the interaction between Al and Ziggy is pretty funny. :)

My favorites of the novels: Angels Unawares, Pulitzer, Odyssey, Knights of the Morningstar, Loch Ness Leap, Independence, Foreknowledge and this one. Least favorites: Double or Nothing and Heat Wave. I like, don't love, the others.

Easily a favorite! So far the only one in the series I've read thrice.
This is an author whom you can tell has a pretty amazing handle on the show's leap atmosphere and the two lead characters.

This leap was a delightful somewhat combination of Catch a Falling Star and The Play's The Thing with well written, likable characters and an added twist.
We were shown a very surprising side of Gooshie, a character who is usually always in the background. It was interesting to see him spotlighted and to find out the origin of the nickname. My favorite element was his concern that Sam was required to effect his timeline. It showed us a vulnerability to his character and gave us something to think about, how different would the project be without him?
It was very clever to hide him in the first quarter or so of the leap under the guise of a fictional name. Personally I hadn't seen it coming in my first read until bad breath was mentioned.
Gerda was a strong, independent female character who knew what she wanted and how to keep her son in line. You'd never guess that said son was a grown, divorced man because she has the spirit of a woman in her twenties.

It however was the Rebecca Wexler part of the story that I liked the most; a character dealing with a hidden trauma who brings out a perfect display of Sam's need to help everyone around him. When we're reading from her point of view we get a lot of depth and emotion so that we can really feel that struggle. The little crush Sam develops on her is just adorable and sweet. We also see a suggestion here of Sam's being able to choose what to change, she was determined to help her the whole time along with Gerda but she wasn't in the odds...or very high in the odds until about the last quarter of the novel.
I would have loved to see a leap devoted entirely to a character like Rebecca Wexler in a TV episode.

5/5 stars.