Poor Sam...:*(

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
So I started a thread about Ql moments that make you laugh, but I am actually much more interested now in what moments make you feel bad for Sam. Here is my list (and because I am bored I am going to try to list them in order)

Genesis:

When Sam can't remember his phone number to talk to his dad, and almost wants to cry.

Disco Inferno:

When Sam remembers that Tom died in Vietnam and gets that so sad look in his eyes.

The Leap Home:

When Sam is forced to tell his family that he was making the future stuff up and runs off crying. Then when hes back in the corn field where he leaped in and he's telling Al:

"This isn't fair Al, How can I help strangers but not the people I love"
and then yells
"You hear that! Whoever you are, whereever you are, I'm not doing it anymore!"

Black on White on Fire:

When Sam gets beaten to a pulp by the police when he's trying to get to Susan.

Shock Theater:

Throughout the course of Sam's changing mind and being all these different people, one thing always remains. He's always so scared, and it's cute but sad.

Justice:

When Sam has to turn away Nathaniel from the voting registration and he felt so horrible that he felt like throwing up.

Mirror Image:

If the reason here is not obvious than you need to watch more Quantum Leap.

I can't think of anymore right now, But I will post if i do.

I agree with Justice. Especially this line, which I remembered from the first time the episode aired. After using the N word and mocking the old man, he tells Nathaniel, All those things I just said, I didn't mean. And Nathaniel says:

Well, what if I called you a red-necked, white-butted, stump dumb cracker. Still stings, doesn't it? Even if I didn't mean it.

The look of disgust and humiliation on Sam's face makes me feel so bad.

Freedom, when the old man dies just over the reservation line.

Moments To Live, when Sam realizes he's expected to "perform" under the gaze of a crazy woman's shotgun-aiming husband. Talk about pressure. Again, so humiliated.

The B******man, when he just can't figure out why people are dying, and panics every time he looks at the typewriter.

The Leap Back II, he realizes that he's "traded a life for a life," Maggie's for Tom's. And sacrificed Al's freedom in the bargain.

One more: when Sam is being strapped into the electric chair for the second time, at the end of Dance Before an Execution, my heart always goes out to him. He sounds so scared, calling for Al, his faith wavering.

Have I mentioned lately that SB is a brilliant actor?

Last edited:
oh yeah, I totally agree with The Leap Back II especially the expression painted on his face when he sees Al's face in the pulizer winning photograph and realizes what he turned his back on to save his brother.

I also agree with the line you pointed out from Justice.

or in the episode dreams where sam starts to see frightning dreams and thinks thats he is gonna be killed in the end.that episode was chilling.
the leap home for obvious reasons.that episode was very moving specially in the end, and also in trilogy becouse he fell in love with that girl and he was trying desperatelly to save her life.Now what donna must think of that? lol

oh yeah, Dreams is a big one on my list, I can't believe I forgot to mention it. I just wanna give him a hug in that one, he's sooo scared, and Last Dance before an Execution.

I think I have to agree with all of those. ANother one is in "Leaping in Without a Net" Im TERRIFIED of heights,I actually find this episode hard to watch! When hes sitting on the trapeeze with his eyes shut I know exactly how he feels. I cant even look out of my bedroom window for too long, and Im only 1 floor up!

Just a question, when Sam starts to have an anxiety attack at the start of Justice, are there any other episodes where this happens?

Angie
xxxxx

I love leaping in without a Net, Sam is so cute, when hes up there with his eyes shut and says "my fingers won't let go".

As for the anxiety attacks, I think he has one in the leap home when he gets really upset that he had to tell his family he was making all the future stuff up and then runs off into the corn fields and yells at God because he can help strangers but not the people he loves.

alienangie said:
I think I have to agree with all of those. ANother one is in "Leaping in Without a Net" Im TERRIFIED of heights,I actually find this episode hard to watch! When hes sitting on the trapeeze with his eyes shut I know exactly how he feels. I cant even look out of my bedroom window for too long, and Im only 1 floor up!

I can totally relate to Sam in this episode. And I have to admire his courage; he actually made it up to the trapeze. I'd get about ten feet up the ladder and panic.

LadyKayoss said:
I can totally relate to Sam in this episode. And I have to admire his courage; he actually made it up to the trapeze. I'd get about ten feet up the ladder and panic.

Yeah I would too. I am a huge chicken, I can't even go on rollar coasters. :p
But normally hights I can handle. In fact I like them.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
I love leaping in without a Net, Sam is so cute, when hes up there with his eyes shut and says "my fingers won't let go".

As for the anxiety attacks, I think he has one in the leap home when he gets really upset that he had to tell his family he was making all the future stuff up and then runs off into the corn fields and yells at God because he can help strangers but not the people he loves.

:D I love that line! Poor baby :) Thanks for that. I knew there was another episode Id seen it happen in, but I couldnt remember. Im prone to them too...usually when I get more than 2 foot off the ground! lol

Angie
xxxxx

As I understand it, it wasn't the height that bothered Scott when filming that episode.
Apparantly he suffers from motion sickness, and all the swaying back and forth had him quesy for the entire shoot.

So a lot of the expressions where he looks kinda :x aren't put on, they were for real.

leaper1 said:
As I understand it, it wasn't the height that bothered Scott when filming that episode.
Apparantly he suffers from motion sickness, and all the swaying back and forth had him quesy for the entire shoot.

So a lot of the expressions where he looks kinda :x aren't put on, they were for real.

I know that. I read an interview where he mentioned this ;)
in fact In the Wrong Stuff when he barfs in his cage from being in that swinging thing, I am willing to 'bet the farm' as he would say, that that was real.

and I agree Alien Angie, Poor Baby. :(

Jesus, the whole of M.I.A.

Now I'm a 19 year old bloke who doesn't cry much, but M.I.A had me on the point of tears 3 or 4 times. It might have helped that I knew it was Al all along and everything from reading on the internet, but it still chokes you up when the see the sadness of Al talking about the only woman he ever loved, and not wanting to see her, but eventually he does at the end and...Oh god, you know what I'm talking about, that final scene. Beautiful

yeah I was werid, I cried the SECOND time I saw it, and that was it. And then I also cried the first bazillion times I saw the end of Leap Back where Donna says "I love you Sam" to the stars. I was almost on the point of nearly sobbing.