What happens after Sam leaps

C

crowovw

Awhile ago I was watching some old QL episodes and in the first season when Sam leaps into the mob family I can't remember the episode name but he's working for the mob and when he leaps out and into the older guy they say something like make sure there are whitnesses so he can't say he doesn't remember marrying the couple since Sam will leap out, or something like that, but later on in QL apparently they do remember, in shock theater Samantha remembers punching Buddy Write, then in Mirror image The bartender says,"the lives you touched, touched others and those lives others! But they don't flat out say they all remember your words. Then also in mirror image nobody remembers Al's uncle after he leaps except for Sam and Al the bartender.
So can anyone clear this up for me, does the other person that Sam leaps into remember what happens. Obiously everyone else does.

Well, in Shock Theatre, it's not so much that Samantha herself is returning to Sam....but that Sam is retaining what bits of Samantha stuck with him FROM the Leap. So since SAM remembers all that, his persona of Samantha would remember it as well. Do you follow? It's SAM trapped in a mental protective mechanism of a sort of split personality relying on his memories of BEING Samantha, but with what SAM remembers of it all and projecting forward as a new personality.

yeah in that particular case I figured since it was Sam that it was his memory but what about all the other cases???

The way I've come to understand it is that the Leapees return, finding that their lives have changed for the better, but aren't exactly sure of how that's happened. Depending on the level of involvement or neuromeshing between Sam and the Leapee, they probably remember different amounts or have different ways of explaining what's happened - alien abductions, angelic intervention, whatever.

As for the bartender's statement that Sam's actions touch lives which touch other lives and so on, I always thought it was referring to a time travel ripple effect - by improving one person's life, they can do things that will help others, that will help others...etc.

I agree. Not only that, but any memory recollections in "Mirror Image" shouldn't even be compared to the rest of the series. I think the episode belongs in its own category since it broke nearly all of the rules established in the series.

There's only one episode where we discover what happens immediately after a leapee goes back to their own time. This is "Double Identity", when the project tries to get Sam back using the retreival program but instead makes Sam leap into the person he has hold of (he was in the middle of a fight) and the original leapee leap back. The leapee had no memory of what had happened while Sam had taken over his life. So either he will NEVER have any memory of what Sam did, or it takes a while for him to get those memories.