About Gooshie....

• Total voters

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
Everyone I'm sure has seen the debate on the main board about Gooshie's fate on The Virtual Seasons.

In one of the episodes, Gooshie was killed when he put himself before the rest of the project not worrying about the consequences of his actions -- knowing probably that he'd die.

The question(s) being posed are thus:

Should Sam right the wrong that has happened in at the project and in essence prevent Gooshie from being killed?

If this can be done without damaging the timelines of the people that Sam has leaped into since ... then should it be done?

It would mess up the other's lives.

By that theory, I suppose when Sam righted the wrong in Al's life, thus leaving him with Beth, that would have messed up everything at the project, right? Sam and Al might have never met and chaos would ensue.

And Sam prevented Tom's death, so Tom lived and Sam would possibly have not made certain decisions which could have left him off course of Quantum Leap thus preventing him from ever leaping and in turn his brother would still die and the fabric of the world would unravel in this never ending loop, right?

Yet no, Don Bellisario, the creator of the show says that Sam and Al would meet anyway and the course of time would stay basically on the same path for whatever reason. Mainly because it is FICTION and in fiction you can do pretty much whatever you want. So the question whether to bring him back or not is moot. It is up to the TVS staff to decide that. It could be done tastefully and without disturbing the current timeline at all with the right direction and plotline which of course I have in mind but will keep my big fat mouth shut until further notice lol. That's my 2 cents on the matter! Or did I spend a buck fifty?

Brian, I know how much you love Gooshie... I'm a huge Gooshie fan too... and I agree with everything that you said about Dennis Wolfberg in the main forum.

However, I'm afraid I'm in the crowd that thinks we should leave him dead... yes, I don't think he should have been killed in the first place, but going back to revive him is kind of cheesy, if that's the right word.

I think that Gooshie's death was well done, nonetheless. I would have rather had him live on, but it has made for some interesting changes.

Basically, Gooshie is dead in QLVS after that season 7 episode. I know he was a minor character on the TV series and showed up more in VS, but can't we just let him be? Like I said, I loved Gooshie, but there's not point in screwing up stuff just to bring him back...

Although you said Sam changed things for Tom and Al, Brian, I agree that it would change some things at the Project. However, Al's change we never got to see in the show, but we've written it in to VS. However, bringing Gooshie back would, in essense, require all episodes since his death to be re-written, if you catch my drift... not saying that we'd have to, but that Gooshie would be there when people were saying he wasn't...

Maybe I'm contradicting myself now. I don't know. <LOL> I'm just trying to make the point that his death was wonderfully written and it would kind of devalue his sacrifice to just "bring him back".

... Mike.

Not necessarily...

Actually, I'm incorporating something into my trilogy that won't seem to make sense at first because it would seem to contradict what's already been written (and no, it's not about Gooshie), but in reality, it won't affect the "main" timeline of TVS one bit.

If you read "Second Genesis II," and really take a good look at the explanation Stephen and Sammy Jo give for certain... contradictions, you'll see how my idea can be implemented in a number of ways.

Using Tom as the perfect example: In the original history, Tom died, Sam grows up, and leaps back to Vietnam to try and save him.

In the "new" history, Tom doesn't die, Sam grows up, and leaps back to Vietnam...

Except... if Tom didn't die, why would Sam need to save him? Doesn't make any logical sense...

As my story explains paradoxes such as those, the Sam Beckett that leaps back to Vietnam will ALWAYS be the Sam Beckett of the "original" timeline, in which Tom DID die. (It may be the "new" Sam that leaps out of the Accelerator in 1995, but it will be the "original" Sam that arrives at each of his past leaps.) And hence, if "pre-MI" Sam is there, then he'd be communicating with "pre-MI" Al, as well... get it?

Which means that there would literally be hundreds of parallel timelines co-existing out there somewhere... one for each leap that Sam or the evil leapers ever made. (The Star Trek: TNG episode "Parallels" explains that concept pretty good.)

If you look at time-travel that way, then anything is possible...

Ok. Ok.

After all is said and done, I believe that after talking with Brian and Eleiece yesterday that I've devised a plan.
You'll see as the season progresses and it doesn't alter anything.

With this in mind, I'm going to close this poll and leave it be for now.

And since Eleiece, Brian and I have devised it, they are going to be in the mud with me when I put it down the episode is actually written.

Bare with me... and it's a really good. :)