Happy Lunar New Year!

gelfling1220

Project QL Intern
Nov 1, 2001
New York City
www.angelfire.com
I think I may be the only one here who celebrates it, but the Lunar New Year is a time in which family and friends are the focus and I thought I ought to share it with everyone here.

So here's sharing a new year's wish for prosperity, luck, good times and a healthy new year to all of my friends here at Al's Place!

:cheers

Tonight is New Years Eve and tomorrow starts 4702, the year of the Monkey. Hope it's a good one for you all!

Gung Hay Fat Choy, Sun Nein Fai Lok!
~gelfling

Gelf,

I've heard of the Lunar New Year before, but I'm unsure of it's origins.

Can you shed a little light on this?

Is it the same time every year, or does it fluxuate since the orbit is oblong and is affected by where Our relative position is with the Sun, and the other planets???

Matt,

I?m actually not all that well versed in how it works, so I did a little bit of research to supplement what I know? My knowledge lies mostly in some of the customs.

All this information relates to the Asian lunar calendar specifically ? there are other lunar calendars, but I don?t know anything at all about them.

The Asian Lunar calendar is, as its name suggests, based on the phases of the moon. Each month is how long it takes to go from New Moon to New Moon (roughly 29-30 days). There are twelve months in a year, unless it is a leap year, in which an entire month is added instead of one day. Either way, the year is just as long as the Solar/Gregorian calendar, 365 days.

The New Year starts at the first New Moon after the winter solstice (which is supposed to occur in the 11th month). Even though the overall length of time is the same in both calendars, the measurement is different (the length of a month in the Western/Gregorian calendar was arbitrarily predetermined and does not line up with the phases of the moon. Since they are measured differently, they don?t often sync up, so according to the Gregorian calendar, the date of the Lunar New Year changes from year to year. Ordinarily it?s in early February, but this year it has come ?earlier.?

Each year coincides with a particular Zodiac sign, sort of like how roughly each month equates to a zodiac sign in the Western Calendar. There are 12 zodiac animals, and the cycle of every twelve years is called a ?great year?.

The Lunar New Year is a time to create a fresh start. What happens in the New Year and in the 15 days that follow are supposed to set the tone for the rest of the year. That means that before New Years, one has to clean up the house to ?get rid of old demons?, get new clothes and a haircut ?so the evil spirits don?t recognize you? and a feast should be prepared so that the new year starts with symbols of prosperity. Each food at the New Year feast is a pun, whose homonym can mean ?luck?, ?fortune?, etc. During the 15 days, one should spend time with family and close friends and be careful not to take part in any conflicts lest they carry on into the rest of the year. Certain sweets are eaten to bring luck, as well as the practice of older, married couples giving money and blessings to children and singles. The lion dances, gongs, drums and firecrackers that have become associated with the New Year are also practices which are supposed to scare away bad luck and evil demons.

Hope this helps!
~gelfling