Top 10 episodes from Season 3

Grimlock

Project QL Intern
Nov 6, 2005
The Netherlands
Here is my view on Season 3 of Quantum Leap after having just seen all the episodes on DVD (most of the episodes for the first time ever). Unlike last time around i will just give my opinion on the episode rather then a synopsis of the story. As always, feel free to add your own top 10 list (or top 3 or top 5) for this season. I'm curious to see if my list corresponds a bit with other leapers.

1. Last Dance Before An Execution - Perhaps one of the more religious episodes of the series. This is also an episode in which we see Sam at his most vulnerable, as he is locked up and about to be electrocuted in the chair.
Top marks for this episode as it really shows off the acting skills of all the actors involved (watch out for the scene where the title of the episode is explained). It is also one of the few times that Sam actually leaps into someone who he can't (or shouldn't) save.

2. Black on White on Fire - An episode that gives a good insight into the racial tensions in the 60's. Also great suspenseful music and really horrifying images of fires and abuse. Not an episode for the faint hearted. It also reverses the general image by having a white girl feel an outcast in a black community.

3. One Strobe over the Line - This episode is really kinda sad. It does a great job of showing what drugs can do to a person. Sam has to really fight hard to help Edie and stop her from taking an overdose. A powerful episode which might be hard to take for anyone who has witnessed something similar.

4. Private Dancer - An episode that grows on you when you start to think about it. Perhaps sometimes a bit uncomfortable to watch because of the subject at hand, but it did a good job of showing what kind of problems people run into when they go to the big city to try their luck (see number 3).
It is also teaches us how to deal with people who are deaf.

5. Shock Theater - Well, the hype for this episode is not completely warranted, but a very good episode nonetheless. Offcourse, a great acting performance by both Scott and Dean (i also liked the nurse), yet i didn't really like the fact that Sam himself wasn't really in this episode. As someone interested in the human mind though, this episode was really interesting and posed a few questions (is Al really just a part of Sam's imagination?).

6. A Hunting We Will Go - This episode is for me the best comedic episode of Season 3. Perhaps for that reason alone not very highly rated, but i thought it did what it said on the package. Plus the fact that Sam is totally out of his element here and is getting whipped :)whip ) by a woman. We also learn a few things about Al's fifth wife. And yes, i've got a really weak spot for Jane Sibbett :dreaming

7. Future Boy - An episode that is really all about sci-fi.....ok, and father/daughter relationships. It also raised new questions about Sam's string theory on time travel. You just couldn't help but feel sorry for the old man. Sam also gets to use his lawyer skills.

8. The Leap Home Part I - Sam arrives home in this episode and gets all defensive deciding that he wants to stay and not leap on. But as Sam tries to avert the misery that will fall upon his family, he only makes things worse (most beautiful moment being the "Imagine" song, where Olivia Burnette gave a chilling performance). In the end, he leaps but not before having his brother Tom make him a promise.

9. Miss Deep South - Well, the female episodes are always fun to watch. This one is no exception, as we go in to the shady world of beauty contests.
It makes very clear that there are very dodgy characters following those contests from the front row. And Heather McAdam (Connie) is so endearing and vulnerable, how can you not want to protect her from any harm? Oh, and Sam is using his ninja skills again (which happens a lot in this season, by the way).

10. Glitter Rock - A musical episode in which Scott gets a chance to use his vocal ability. The plot behind this is very interesting as i like a good murder mystery once in a while. The other plot point (which ties into the main plot) is the kid claiming to be Tonic's (Sam's character)son. There are a few nice twists and turns at the end and i'm glad they didn't go with the obvious solution (with the real life references early on).

All in all, this was a very good season. It is hard to play favourites, but overall i liked it better then Season 2 (it is hard to compare it to Season 1 due to the short run). I do believe that the quality of my favourite episodes in Season 2 was a tiny bit higher then in Season 3, but Season 3 had less episodes which were redundant to me. My top 2 or 3 in Season 3 are there to stay, but the rest of them might all change after repeated viewing.

There are also a few episodes that just missed the top 10. For instance, i decided to only put one of the leap homes in it (perhaps on another day i'd have chosen the vietnam episode). And the Halloween episode is one where i had mixed feelings about.

P.S. Well, it will be a while for my next top 10 list, as Season 4 does not even have a release date yet for R2. By the time Season 5 has come out i will try and make a top 20(or something)of all my favourite episodes (with a rating this time around).

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

My s3 top 5

Ok here we go in order...

1. Last Dance b4 exectution - great ep, esp. sam questioning power that contols his leaping and the twist that he is guilty and suppose to die

2. Leap home part 2 - for the end link with the photo of Al in vietnam (tear)

3. Black on white on fire - uses real events to further a great diadatic story

4. Nuclear Family - again uses real historic events to show how topical events influence personal behaviour.

5. Leap Home Part 1 - a little insight into why Sam's leaping in the first place.

Didnt like shock theater so much, due to the simplicity of the task and the implication you can teach someone to read by singing a rap song to them!

hmm, well this is not an easy thing for me to do but i will give it my best shot.

Black and white on fire - i liked this episode for it's dramatic re-creation of a real event, and how it shows just how blacks were treated and disreagred just for the fact that the color of their skin is different. and how difficult back then it was to be a couple of both races. it makes me sad however at the end seeing Sam so beaten to a pulp to the point where he could hardly hold his eyes open.

Shock theature: i remember at first i thought i would never waych this episode agian after the very first time as it is a very realistic representation of how back in the old days people in mental hospitals were treated very cruelly by form of the electroshock theature and the effects it can have. i also love this episode becasue of the loyal friendship Al shows Sam by trying so hard to get the real Sam back so they would not lose contact, and how he got an uneasy look on his face when Tibby told him that his parnets had abandoned him, knowing that he related. i also enjoy this episode for Scott Bakula's incredible acting job.

Leap home (both parts) - Part one showed Sam's extreme love for his family and wanting so badly to make things right for them, even when Al said no, Sam's determination was not killed, until he had gotten too far with the Tom thing. part two shows Al's loyalty to Sam when he extended his POW time by about two years to help Sam save Tom instead,resulting in Sam's guilt for giving a life for a life and the end when you see Al's face in the winning pulitzer photo.

The great Spontini: this episode i can mildly relate to. it shows how divorce can be tough on a child of an old enough age. unlike Jamie however, i was onlny three when my parents decided they just didn't have anymore in common and things were not working out, or rather my mom decided it and took off, but not intentionally. i relate becasue even though there was no nasty custidy battle for me because my parents got a long quote beautifully, and i don't remember anything of the divorce events, i still have had a tough time coping with it, as i never much saw my father often as i grew older in the elementary years, until it came to now when i was only seeing him once a week for lunch or dinner depending, up until his unexpected death on october 5, 2005. i understand how it sucks to have split parents becasue i was the only one of my friends. plus it was great to see how Sam faught so hard for her, and agianst Steve and the curtina things he said to steve about Maggie and Jamie still being his family no matter what and no lawyer had the right to take that away, and keep him away from them.

Private Dancer: This episode was Sam's very first and only encounter with a deaf person, and it was interesting to see how he adapted, and learned to communicate with Dianna, and also how amazing you can still be despite a disability such as a hearing imparement. Also how a disability doesn't matter when facing the world, and that your talents can still go a long way.

Piano man: Scott sings, need i say more =)

A Hunting we Will Go: the extreme humor

The Boog*eman: simply for the twisted storyline.

Ms. Deep South: the carmon meranda outfit never fails to crack me up.

Last Dance Before an Execution: mostly for the adorable scene where Al gets the little girl to talk to Tersa, but also for it being one of Sam's hardest leaps.

ok, so my answers were kinda lame, sorry. by the way these are in no particular order.

Last edited:
1. Shock Theater:. One of the best in the series.
2. The Leap Home: One of the Best Season Premieres
3. The Leap Home 2: It really showed the true friend that Al is to Sam
4. Black on White on Fire: Really makes you think
5. Boogiem*n: Al as the Devil, Brillance
6. A Hunting We Will Go: Just an all around fun episode
7. A Little Miracle: Just a unique episode in the QL Universe
8. Heart of a Champion: First episode I saw. Made me a fan of QL
9. Last Dance Before an Execution: Sam leaping into the Electric Chair, WOW.
10. Piano Man: A good episode, Scott Sings, and the song Somewhere in the Night

Here are mine:

1) 8 1/2 Months- This is my favorite episode of the whole series. Any ep where he's a woman is great, but this is such a great one of that special grouping. I could watch that episode over and over and never tire of it!

2) Shock Theater- I agree with Tom, its the best in the series I believe. If there were ever an episode where Scott deserved an Emmy, it was this one!

3) The Leap Home 1 and 2- I lumped these together as one long ep. I love these because it shows how badly Sam wants to change his own life, even though he knows that he isn't supposed and is not able to. Also, it shows how much Al cares for Sam as he is willing to remain MIA for a few more years so that Tom may be saved. Plus, Sam sings my favorite John Lennon song too!

4) Black and White of Fire- This episode airs right after Miss Deep South, and literally the last three times MDS has aired on TV I always saw the teaser for BaWoF but never got to see it! I would be unavoidably out of the house when it came on, or the power would go out overnight and my VCR wouldn't record it. Once I finally got to see it on my DVD, I thought it was one of the best bloody eps I had seen. It was definitely worth the wait!

5) Piano Man- SamBeckettFan's reasoning applies. Scott sings...need I say more?

6) Miss Deep South- Again, he's a woman...hilarity must ensue. Seeing Sam in his bathing suit, red pumps, and hairy legs makes me laugh to the point of tears.

7) Private Dancer- Chippendales...Sam as "Rod the Bod"...that INCREDIBLE dance sequence with Debbie Allen...great storyline...Chippendales...what's NOT to love??

8. The Great Spontini- I really can't pick out any specific reasons for this, it's just a great ep all around.

9) Leap of Faith- You learn backstory to Al's history, and you see him overcome his "demons" for lack of a better term as he prays over Sam after he was shot.

10) Last Dance Before and Execution- This was a great ep because, it WAS different than all the other eps before or since. He had leapt into someone who was meant to and deserved to die. The first time I saw it, my eyes were saucers and I was so scared! I was half screaming in fright at the TV

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
Here are mine:

1) 8 1/2 Months- This is my favorite episode of the whole series. Any ep where he's a woman is great, but this is such a great one of that special grouping. I could watch that episode over and over and never tire of it!

2) Shock Theater- I agree with Tom, its the best in the series I believe. If there were ever an episode where Scott deserved an Emmy, it was this one!

3) The Leap Home 1 and 2- I lumped these together as one long ep. I love these because it shows how badly Sam wants to change his own life, even though he knows that he isn't supposed and is not able to. Also, it shows how much Al cares for Sam as he is willing to remain MIA for a few more years so that Tom may be saved. Plus, Sam sings my favorite John Lennon song too!

4) Black and White of Fire- This episode airs right after Miss Deep South, and literally the last three times MDS has aired on TV I always saw the teaser for BaWoF but never got to see it! I would be unavoidably out of the house when it came on, or the power would go out overnight and my VCR wouldn't record it. Once I finally got to see it on my DVD, I thought it was one of the best bloody eps I had seen. It was definitely worth the wait!

5) Piano Man- SamBeckettFan's reasoning applies. Scott sings...need I say more?

6) Miss Deep South- Again, he's a woman...hilarity must ensue. Seeing Sam in his bathing suit, red pumps, and hairy legs makes me laugh to the point of tears.

7) Private Dancer- Chippendales...Sam as "Rod the Bod"...that INCREDIBLE dance sequence with Debbie Allen...great storyline...Chippendales...what's NOT to love??

8. The Great Spontini- I really can't pick out any specific reasons for this, it's just a great ep all around.

9) Leap of Faith- You learn backstory to Al's history, and you see him overcome his "demons" for lack of a better term as he prays over Sam after he was shot.

10) Last Dance Before and Execution- This was a great ep because, it WAS different than all the other eps before or since. He had leapt into someone who was meant to and deserved to die. The first time I saw it, my eyes were saucers and I was so scared! I was half screaming in fright at the TV

Samantha Beckett

great answers, but for shock theatre, you said you agree with Tom, i think i had out a simular answer too. becasue i said something about Scotts amazing acting, i mean even my mom was amazed.

SamBeckettfann said:
great answers, but for shock theatre, you said you agree with Tom, i think i had out a simular answer too. becasue i said something about Scotts amazing acting, i mean even my mom was amazed.

*re-reads your post* Oh yeah....I was actually referring to the thought that it was the best in the series but I do agree with u too. LOL. I've always thought he at deserved an Emmy for that performance.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
*re-reads your post* Oh yeah....I was actually referring to the thought that it was the best in the series but I do agree with u too. LOL. I've always thought he at deserved an Emmy for that performance.

Samantha Beckett

yeah he totally should have, or at least for his perfromace in dreams as he went into being the kid Jack Stone.

My faves are the same as Samantha Beckett's....so just reread hers..lol!
Sam pregnant was so funny and Al's reactions to him were wonderful! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
These are my faves:
-1-Shock Theater
-2-Last Dance Before an Execution
-3-8 1/2 Months
-4-A Hunting We Will Go (I love Al's lines about the 5 stages of love:)
-5-Glitter Rock
-6-The Leap Home, Part II
-7-The Leap Home, Part I
-8-Piano Man
-9-Private Dancer
-10-Black & White on Fire