Xbox 360 or should I wait for a playstation 3 ?

BlueSovereign

Project QL Intern
Oct 30, 2005
UK
I'm really tempted to go for an Xbox 360 since they are out right now and I have found good prices for them - ?209 for the core system from amazon.co.uk. The thing is the premium version is out of stock no matter where I go and I would prefer to invest in one of them since having a harddrive is more or less essential.

I have researched over the net for information on both consoles includings reviews and specifications and it seems that the Playstation 3 will have much more processing power than the Xbox 360 but the 360 has a better graphics setup according to one source. Another thing is that the Playstation 3 will be backward compatible with most titles right from the PS1 and has a larger pool of games than the Xbox and 360. The 360 is only compatible with a selection of original Xbox games, but they are working on making more older games compatible.

I've read a few PS3 vs Xbox360 threads and most are mixed reviews with their respective owners stating that their console is the better choice.

So which should I go for ?

My desktop PC is getting a little slow for the newer games so I thought that I would have a console for gaming instead.

My advice would be to wait for the PS3. EVERYTHING that I have heard says that the PS3 will blow the X-Box 360 out of the water. And the few graphics I have seen of the PS3 are evry bit as good, if not better that the 360.

My own feelings are that the Playstation is just an all around better system. At one time, I owned a PS2, an X-Box, and a Gamecube. I tried to give all three a chance, and I found that even though the other two systems were newer, I still prefered playing my games on the Playstation. Eventually, I sold my X-Box to my buddy with like 5 games for $50.00 U.S., and I gave my Gamecube to his son.

Most of the games that are out for X-Box, you can also get them on Playstation, and Visa-Versa. So it somes down to who puts them out better. I personally feel that Playstation does an all around better job.

If it wern't for the Game Halo, and the craze it created, X-Box would probally be just another system to have bitten the dust. Personally, I don't like 1st person shooters and I really did not feel that Halo was anything special. It was just like 100 other games of that genere.

So, all in all, I am going to wait for the PS3. With the money that these systems cost now adays, I think it would be the better investment.

Al's Handlink said:
My advice would be to wait for the PS3. EVERYTHING that I have heard says that the PS3 will blow the X-Box 360 out of the water. And the few graphics I have seen of the PS3 are evry bit as good, if not better that the 360.

I have the urge to go with one or the other and something keeps telling me that waiting around for the PS3 will be worth the extra waiting time. I also like the idea of having a blue-ray drive that can hold a hell of a lot more than the standard DVD and this will be needed to hold the vast content of games that are going to utilise this platform. All the large graphic files etc will eventually overflow a DVD at somepoint which is a big plus. Its very future-proof having this and the PS3 is more powerful than a 360 in terms of processing power. But some say the 360 has a better graphics setup in terms of ATI vs nVidia hardware - I prefer nVidia and I have a Geforce card in my PC which performs great.

My own feelings are that the Playstation is just an all around better system. At one time, I owned a PS2, an X-Box, and a Gamecube.

Funnily enough my older brother asked me for advice on whether to buy an Xbox or a Playstation 2 and I recommended the PS2 because at the time it seemed like the better deal with more variety of games.

I would like to own both the X360 and the PS3 to check them both out but I'm not prepared to spend that amount on games machines, maybe if I won the lottery I would but the cash I do have has to be spent carefully.

Most of the games that are out for X-Box, you can also get them on Playstation, and Visa-Versa. So it somes down to who puts them out better. I personally feel that Playstation does an all around better job.

I got that too and I've been told that ported games looked better on the original Xbox than the PS2 and I don't know if thats true or not. But from what I have read the reverse would be true with the latest generation of consoles.

If it wern't for the Game Halo, and the craze it created, X-Box would probally be just another system to have bitten the dust. Personally, I don't like 1st person shooters and I really did not feel that Halo was anything special. It was just like 100 other games of that genere.

I have played a number of 1st person shooters and although I enjoyed them with the exploration of the various levels etc I find that they are more or less the same just with different monsters, buildings and characters. I think the 1st person games should be given less attention but a couple of releases would be welcome here and there. There are just too many 1st person games at this time.

So, all in all, I am going to wait for the PS3. With the money that these systems cost now adays, I think it would be the better investment.

I think that's what I'm going to do, but I am tempted to get an XBox 360 but if I were it would be the premium version and they seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment. I do know that some companies are still dealing with their back orders for weeks ago for them. I don't see the point in getting a core system unless an extra ?70 is really going to break your bank account. You will need a memory card that will cost you ?35 anyway to store your saves, so why not put that towards the premium and get a harddrive instead ? More features, more storage space. Makes sense.

Haha, I personally do not believe that the XBox 360 exists because I've never seen one and every store i went to said they were "sold out". Conspiracy? Maybe.....but probably not.

I would vote for the PS3. With the exception of Halo again (which I am ADDICTED to, I suck at it, but I love it nonetheless) XBox really has no point. The controller is too awkward and bizarre for me. I'm a self-proclaimed gamer *sarcastic chuckle* and I've played on all the systems at one point in time and the Playstations are the best. Go for the PS3...you're more likely to find one than the non-existent 360, lol.

Samantha Beckett

Edit: after reading my post in someone's quote, i realized i mis-spoke...er, mis-typed.

Last edited:
Samantha_Beckett said:
Haha, I personally do not believe that the XBox 360 doesn't exist because I've never seen one and every store i went to said they were "sold out". Conspiracy? Maybe.....but probably not.

In this world anything is possible >D.

I would vote for the PS3. With the exception of Halo again (which I am ADDICTED to, I suck at it, but I love it nonetheless) XBox really has no point. The controller is too awkward and bizarre for me. I'm a self-proclaimed gamer *sarcastic chuckle* and I've played on all the systems at one point in time and the Playstations are the best. Go for the PS3...you're more likely to find one than the non-existent 360, lol.
Samantha Beckett

I've heard all about Halo but its not enough to tempt me over. I was going to go for a PS2 slimline but since the PS3 is coming out I might as well get one of them, you can still play PS2 games on it anyhow. There is a handful of PS2 games that I'd like to have and none for the Xbox (except some that are out on PS2). I've never had a console before, its always been PC's and I find that with the rig I have I can enjoy gaming on it a lot. But I can see that the games coming out now might have some difficulty working on it. The things is I use it for the internet other than games and I feel that instead of buying a new one or upgrading major parts I thought that its time to get a console instead.

Yeah, it could take many weeks to get hold of a 360 premium and the controller put me off as well. I think I'll wait until the PS3 comes out, seems like its a better investment.

I don't know how true it is, But one of my students told me today that the 360 has been having a problem of burning out after like 15 hour gaming sessions.

If that is true, With the kind of money they are charging for the system, it is unacceptable. I will put my PS3 Preorder in the first time I see it offered.

Al's Handlink said:
I don't know how true it is, But one of my students told me today that the 360 has been having a problem of burning out after like 15 hour gaming sessions.

If that is true, With the kind of money they are charging for the system, it is unacceptable. I will put my PS3 Preorder in the first time I see it offered.

Dude, that sucks! If I didn't just get a PS2, i would get a PS3 when it comes out. Plus, $$ is an issue...

Samantha Beckett

Al's Handlink said:
I've heard something to that effect too. A news report on the 11PM news during the holidays had mentioned something about technical defects being discovered in some models.
Samantha_Beckett said:
Haha, I personally do not believe that the XBox 360 exists because I've never seen one and every store i went to said they were "sold out". Conspiracy? Maybe.....but probably not.
Nah... they do exist. I've personally seen them in action in the various electronics stores like Best Buy, Gamestop, EB, etc. But, I'm sure you were half-kidding about that, weren't ya? :p
Al's Handlink said:
My own feelings are that the Playstation is just an all around better system. At one time, I owned a PS2, an X-Box, and a Gamecube. I tried to give all three a chance, and I found that even though the other two systems were newer, I still prefered playing my games on the Playstation.
As some of you may know, I myself am also a huge gamer. I also happen to be a collector of music, DVDs, games and comics... so I tend to keep up on what's coming out or being developed, etc. I still own an NES?yes, the original Nintendo system (although I've gotten rid of most of the games because most everything from that era has been collected for the newer systems), the Super NES (which is still my favorite game system next to the PS1 & 2), the Sega Genesis (which I actually only bought used so that I could play two specific games), the Nintendo 64, the Dreamcast (which was a damn good system, IMO), the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 (although I've since given the PS1 to my sister), a Gameboy Advance (which is backward-compatible with all Gameboy and Gameboy Color titles), the Gamecube, and most recently, the Nintendo DS (which is backward-compatible with all GBA titles). I wouldn't mind getting an XBox, except for the fact that it's so damn huge. :lol I do really enjoy the PS2 and Gamecube though.

There is something no one else has mentioned in this thread (perhaps not too many people know about it yet), that Nintendo is also releasing their new console sometime later this year, code-named Revolution. The Revolution will have both Sony and Microsoft beat on the backward compatibility aspect... not only will it be able to play Gamecube discs, but supposedly, you will be able to download every single NES, Super NES, N64, and Gamecube title ever made and play them on the Revolution's internal hard-drive (each for a very small fee, I'm sure).

The PS3, I believe will be able to play all existing PS1 and PS2 titles, while the XBox 360, even with that premium package hard-drive deal, can only play a select number of "best-selling" XBox titles. So, it's not completely backward-compatible with the original XBox titles.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Personally, I'm holding out to get the PSP when I get the chance, and eventually the PS3 and Revolution (will likely wait a year or two after the Revolution comes out). If I could only pick one, it would probably be the PS3. :)

Damon

Personally, I prefer X-box - I like the controls better. I just wish I owned one! :D Does anyone know where I can get an X-box for an inexpensive price? Not the 360, just X-box.

Kat

Now that the 360 is out I think XBox is getting more reasonable. PlayStation2 is already down to around $149