A Leapee Question

leonni

Project QL Intern
Apr 9, 2007
I don't know if anyone has philosophized on this or whether an answer has been given.

What happens to the leepees memory when they return to their life? Can they remember anyhting that Sam has affected since they didn't personally experience it? Do they remember their time at the project?

I just kind of wonder, because Sam has obviously been there for some pretty significant moments. How would the leepee explain their inablity to remember it?

There are two episodes where we see the leapee return: "Double Identity" and "Revenge Of the Evil Leaper." In both cases, the leapees were dazed and confused when they returned. But if Sam is Swiss-cheesed each time he leaps, we know for certain that the leapees suffer from the same side effect as well. Al and/or Dr. Beeks counsels the leapees while in the Waiting Room and most likely fills them in on what's going on during their absence.

Once the leapees return to their own time, I believe they put the pieces together from the context of the situations they arrive back in. Ultimately, I don't believe the leapees really remember their time at the Project, though (at least not in the long-term sense). I think it's something like the reverse Swiss cheese effect that Sam experienced in "The Leap Back." Another possibility is that some of the mind-merging that occurs also helps to fill in the gaps; in other words, things Sam is experiencing will go to the leapee's memory.

The Leapee indeed swiss Cheese's when they leap into the waiting room. We see an example of this in Revenge when Al is talking to Liz:
"I can't even remember my own last name, how am I supposed to remember who killed Carol Benning!?"

And double Identity shows an example of a returning leapee and Frankie was clearly suffering from partial amnesia as he still thought he was at the wedding from the beginning of the episode. Cealrly someone around them must always make an excuse to explain the span of Sam's stay as Teresa told Frankie he was hit by lightning. So it in some sense gets filled in just not with the truth obviously because no one knows about Sam.

I like to think that perhaps some Leapees have more solid memories than others. They may not remember anything said or people they met (ie Al), but I like to think that there's someone out there insisting that they were in a pristine white room, possibly abducted by aliens! Omigosh! LOL

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

i saw the episode ROBERTO last night and at the end of the show sam was reading on the air some cards he had for what is planned on the next episode of the show.When he read a card... how i was abducted by alliens and i was in a blue room.So that means Roberto remembered the whole thing he experienced.That also happened in many cases where the leapies thought they actually kidnapped by alliens.
The only thing that always makes me wonder is if the leapie was happy of the new changes that took over his life thanks to sam.And if the leapie didnt remembered the whole thing with the waiting room, or he just thought he was taken by alliens ,then How did he explain when suddenly he was having an affair with a woman he wasnt involved with at the first time and he was later on thanks to sam....Or of some other changes that happened,big changes.
And something else...sam said many times when he leaped in to a person and he thought that the person who took his body was the actual murderer in a case,like in the episode dreams, that If i am the killer i am not gonna do the murder ...but if the leapie was the killer e and sam didnt killed the woman or man who was there to save, and lept,then the leapie would try again becouse he wouldnt go behind bars or die....Thats another thing i didnt understand

Last edited:
leaper said:
i saw the episode ROBERTO last night and at the end of the show sam was reading on the air some cards he had for what is planned on the next episode of the show.When he read a card... how i was abducted by alliens and i was in a blue room.So that means Roberto remembered the whole thing he experienced.

NO - Sam was the one reading the cards - Roberto wasn't back yet.

leaper said:
And something else...sam said many times when he leaped in to a person and he thought that the person who took his body was the actual murderer in a case,like in the episode dreams, that If i am the killer i am not gonna do the murder ...but if the leapie was the killer e and sam didnt killed the woman or man who was there to save, and lept,then the leapie would try again becouse he wouldnt go behind bars or die....Thats another thing i didnt understand

I can't remember a case where they were right about the Leapee being the killer - in Dreams, it was
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
the psychiatrist, not Jack
Where the Leapee was a bad guy - thinking here about
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Blood Moon and Her Charm
Sam took precautions to protect the people he was leaving behind when he leaped out.

tina_als_girl said:
I like to think that perhaps some Leapees have more solid memories than others. They may not remember anything said or people they met (ie Al), but I like to think that there's someone out there insisting that they were in a pristine white room, possibly abducted by aliens! Omigosh! LOL

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

Roboerto thought he was abducted by aliens, or so Carol D wrote in Obessions.