Leaping Back In

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
Hey there.
Not sure how many of the gang from my time are still around. It's been a while since I was an active member of this community.

My best friend and I have recently rekindled our old Quantum Leap flame after several years of setting aside to collect dust on the shelf. I must say feels good to have it back in my life. Watching the episodes now after all these years feels like watching them with swiss cheese holes in our memories. Some detail we remember but for the most part the experience is once again new.

My membership here was one of the most important to me, it was my first leap back into internet communities after a particularly disturbing experience and the first welcome I received had been so very warm and open. While being among the youngest here was at times difficult and jealousy or temper issues would cause an issue with some I very much valued my time spent here. Today I am almost ten years my former Al's Place self and have greatly reduced my jealousy, temper and swearing while increasing my knowledge and interests. For example I have taken a much greater interest in history which did not exist in the least in my grade school youth to the point where I may look up a certain time period or historical event so that I may speak of it accurately either on a forum or in a fanfiction or even just for my own pleasure.

2005, I was 18 years old and weeks away from my high school graduation when arriving here. Now I am 26 going on 27, have a liberal arts degree and am taking the first steps to progressing with Graphic Design. My photoshop skills which were shotty to use a light term back in my Al's Place youth have if I may say improved greatly and I believe this is an area that I can excel in. In time I will reveal some examples but first I must create them. I still have only old, and thus very outdated work pertaining to Quantum Leap.

I now also volunteer in a soup kitchen every Monday and Wednesday while I job hunt unsuccessfully where I help prepare and serve meals to to less fortunate. This is something I enjoy and occupies my rather too empty schedule.

Currently I am facing the challenge of not watching a great deal of episodes in my best friend's absence while she is on a family trip in Alaska. So I have been busying myself with the novel series, most of which I have already read back in the day and so now are re-reading. Some are more well written and/or tells better stories than others but seem to agree on contradicting two of the show's main clear arcs.
1.) That Sam's Body is leaping not only his soul which is how the novels are written
and
2.) Getting far too into complicated theories and debates concerning alternate timelines, Sam's presence in the past, and concepts of time travel when Bellesario cared more about the idea of Sam changing people's lives.

Mirror's Edge which I have begun re-reading this morning is by far one of my favorites followed by Song and Dance which I managed to already read twice some years ago.

So with my love for the series renewed, I could not resist stopping by and checking the old place out. This is probably the only time I have returned to a community from such a long absence and actually still remembered my password. Ha!
It looks pretty much exactly the same and I have already spotted some familiar user handles on my to composing this post.
Here's hoping everyone is well.

Regards,
Sam Beckett Fan
:cheers

Good to see you Alsplacebartender.
It's true Sam and Al are still out there! Scott and Dean did a panel at San Diego's ( at least I think it was San Diego) comic con just last year. I was quite surprised myself by the year 2012 on it when my best friend linked me recently. Scott in particular had some interesting things to say and doesn't look like he aged a day (though when someone at the panel actually pointed that out he told the dude to get new glasses lol).

Here's hoping Bellisario will decide to bring Sam home.