QL 5 DVD Episode listings?

gentleman85

Project QL Intern
Dec 21, 2005
England
Hi there, everyone. I'm Ben, a HUGE QL fan and I've been around the site since January but because of certain computer problems I've only just got back on the site, and this is my first post. I'm 20 (nearly 21) and QL is one of my most treasured childhood memories. I remember watching season 5 when it was first broadcast in the UK in about 1994, I was 8 or 9 and I remember crying my eyes out at the end of Mirror Image. So that's me!

Anyway, I've been doing some thinking about the QL 5 DVD release. Due to the number of multi-episodes and ongoing stories in this season, I've come up with a listing of what each DVD will hopefully contain so that fans can watch all of the Trilogy and Return/Revenge without having to swap discs. I just hope Universal pay attention!

DISC 1
Lee Harvey Oswald (Full feature length episode)
Leaping of the Shrew
Nowhere To Run

DISC 2
Killin' Time
Star Light, Star Bright
Deliver Us From Evil

DISC 3
Trilogy Part 1
Trilogy Part 2
Trilogy Part 3
Promised Land

DISC 4
A Tale of Two Sweeties
Liberation
Dr Ruth
Blood Moon

DISC 5
Return
Revenge
Goodbye Norma Jean
The Beast Within

DISC 6
The Leap Between The States
Memphis Melody
Mirror Image

This is all based on an R2 release. For R1 just think double-sided discs. Baring in mind that the single-sided discs can fit 4 eps max on each disc. This also gets around the problem of having the last disc with a measley rationing of just two episodes.

What do you think?

That would be the smart way for Universal to do it. Whether they choose to actually do the smart thing or not is another story. It is possible, I suppose, especially since it's highly unlikely that there will be any special features. Now that I think about it, yeah, they'd sort of have to break the episodes up a bit differently because of the order they originally aired in, and also taking into account that there were three "2-hour" movies that season:

DISC 1-Side A
Lee Harvey Oswald (Full feature-length episode)
Leaping of the Shrew
Nowhere to Run

DISC 1-Side B
Killin' Time
Star Light, Star Bright
Deliver Us From Evil

DISC 2-Side A
Trilogy Part I
Trilogy Part II (Full feature-length episode, includes Part III)
Promised Land

DISC 2-Side B
A Tale of Two Sweeties
Liberation
Dr. Ruth
Blood Moon

DISC 3-Side A
Return/Revenge (Full feature-length episode)
Goodbye Norma Jean
The Beast Within

DISC 3-Side B
The Leap Between the States
Memphis Melody
Mirror Image

I'm just hoping that Universal will indeed use "Trilogy Parts II & III" and "Return/Revenge" the way they originally aired, not how they air in syndication. (I have the original broadcasts recorded on VHS, but still...) "Lee Harvey Oswald" is a safe bet because it was specifically structured that way. Seeing as how they've been using the original broadcast versions already, though, I'm sure they'll all be intact; especially since "Trilogy" and the "Evil Leaper" episodes were never repeated on NBC.

Damon

I just opned season 4 today and there was a coupon for $5.00 off of season 5. It had a picture of the cover, (It was yellow with Sam and Al on it.) Here is the good part., It expires Dec. 1, 2006. So that must mean season 5 will be released pretty quickly here.

gentleman85 said:
DISC 1
Lee Harvey Oswald (Full feature length episode)
Leaping of the Shrew
Nowhere To Run

DISC 2
Killin' Time
Star Light, Star Bright
Deliver Us From Evil

DISC 3
Trilogy Part 1
Trilogy Part 2
Trilogy Part 3
Promised Land

DISC 4
A Tale of Two Sweeties
Liberation
Dr Ruth
Blood Moon

DISC 5
Return
Revenge
Goodbye Norma Jean
The Beast Within

DISC 6
The Leap Between The States
Memphis Melody
Mirror Image

Why do you have LHO as a feature length episode? Why not make two episodes out of it and leave the rest of the listing the same? Especially since you already have 3 out of 6 Discs containing only three episodes.

If anything I would only have Disc 2 and Disc 3 contain three episodes. That way you would also have the Trilogy isolated on one disc (with Promised Land moving up one disc, Blood Moon moving up one disc etc.).

It's just that I'm not a fan of feature length episodes (otherwise you could just as well make 5 Discs and make Trilogy a feature length episode on it's own.......the horror:eek ). And the best argument is the fact that LHO wasn't broadcasted in Britain as a feature length episode (just some info for our American friends, as i'm reading that they got slightly different versions on their screen*).

* In Britain all episodes where shown as stand-alone episodes(at least the last 2 seasons,as that's when I started to watch the show).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen LHO in a two-part format and it simply doesn't work, IMHO. The story really has to be one long story, and it was split crudely, whereas Trilogy and Return/Revenge were done so well as standalones I had no idea that Trilogy II & III and Return/Revenge were shown in the US as feature-lengths.

gentleman85 said:
I had no idea that Trilogy II & III and Return/Revenge were shown in the US as feature-lengths.

Neither did I. That explains why it feels kind of awkward in the leap out/leap in sequence that separated those two eps when they aired on scifi. I dunno....it just seemed like a weird segue to me. But if was a continuous 2 hour episode, that explains it.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha Beckett said:
Neither did I. That explains why it feels kind of awkward in the leap out/leap in sequence that separated those two eps when they aired on scifi. I dunno....it just seemed like a weird segue to me. But if was a continuous 2 hour episode, that explains it.
Yeah, it does seem awkward when you see them in syndication. That's why I prefer the original "movie" versions. Same thing with the pilot episode. In fact, the first time I ever saw the pilot episode was when QL premiered in syndication on USA Network. It was shown in its original 2-hour format, but it was edited to include the Season 4 opening credit sequence, which cuts in right after the scene with Al's car heading toward the project and right before the flash of light. Immediately following the opening credits, they show the clouds and show the title, "Genesis," followed by the guest cast , etc., etc. It looked weird to me then, and then when I had bought the VHS cassette of the pilot episode, I got to see it the way it originally aired. It doesn't really work as a 2-part episode, because it wasn't designed as a 2-part episode.

"Lee Harvey Oswald" started out the same way it does in syndication with the Season 5 saga cell, followed directly by the opening credit sequence, except it debuted the "rock" version of the opening theme (which was subsequently used in all of the 5th season episodes except for "Mirror Image"). Syndication doesn't use the Season 5 "rock" version (another reason why I don't like watching them in syndication). It then goes directly into that JFK/Oswald montage followed by the leap-in. In syndication, it remains intact for the most part up until the very end of Part 1. You miss out on a whole scene where the KGB guy stops recording when he sees Sam stalling for time, and then sits down in front of him to tell him a story about his own childhood. He talked about what a horrible man his father was and how he had made him strip naked and soak in an ice hole in the back of their house as punishment for something he did. He got frostbite, lost several toes and spent most of the winter with pneumonia; but despite that, he "still loved the bastard. After all, he was my father." Then he says that their native lands are a lot like that, and we see how he persuaded Oswald to betray his country, despite the fact that he loved it. That's when Oswald takes over and Sam blinks and says, "My name is Lee Harvey Oswald..." As he says his serial number and all that stuff, the screen fades to black and goes to commercial, which is where it says "To be continued..." in syndication.

As for "Trilogy Parts II & III," it was definitely easy to divide each part up because they're 2 separate leaps. The way it was originally broadcast was that it begun by showing scenes from Part I (no saga cell), and after leaping into Will Kinman, it went straight into the opening credits, immediately followed by the words "Trilogy Part II" in that fancy script on the black screen, with "Unchained Melody" playing in the background. Then, it cuts back to Sam and Abigail in bed together, and we see the date appear at the bottom, followed by the guest cast and production information for both parts. Now, the way QL normally works is that there's the saga cell/teaser/opening credits, 4 acts, and the ending credits, with commercial breaks in-between. For this movie (along with the pilot episode and LHO), there were 7 acts stretched out over 2 hours. Plus, whenever a 2-hour movie was shown, there were no commercial breaks in-between the teaser and Act 1. So, during Act 4, Sam leaped out of Will Kinman and into Larry Stanton, immediately going straight into Part III without listing the title or date. Basically, Act 4 of Part II and the teaser/Act 1 of Part III are all combined into the middle act of the 2-hour movie. They simply took out the shot of Sam looking in the mirror and saying, "Oh boy!" That shot does appear at the end of Part II in syndication, except it doesn't say "To be continued..." at the end.

"Return/Revenge" is the most awkward one in terms of how they decided to divide each leap up. In the original 2-hour movie version, it started with the saga cell, which then faded out and the words "Evil Leaper I ? Reprise" appeared on a black screen as Scott's voice-over said, "Here are some scenes from Evil Leaper, Part 1" (which was "Deliver Us From Evil"). After those scenes (which I believe are slightly different in syndication), it fades to black again and says "Evil Leaper II," followed by Sam's leap-in, then the opening credits, followed immediately by Act 1 (no commercial break). Then the title "Return" appears, followed by the date, then the guest cast and writer/director for both episodes. (You see it say something like, "Part II Written by..." and "Part III Directed by...") Ultimately, there were 8 acts; the end of Act 4 was the end of "Return," and had Sam saying, "Oh boy," as the camera faded out and went to commercial. The beginning of Act 5 continues with Sam and Alia being led to the warden's office and the title "Revenge" then appears on the screen, followed by the date. At the end of Act 8, after Sam leaps out and into the Marilyn Monroe episode, instead of going to a commercial break, there was a special 5-minute promo for the next 4 upcoming episodes which was introduced by both Scott and Dean while on the set of the Civil War episode (which I assume was originally supposed to be the last of the 4 before the finale). At the end of the promo (which used the Suite from "Lee Harvey Oswald" during the Civil War scenes), the screen faded to black again, followed by the words "Coming this spring on Quantum Leap," then directly into the ending credits (no commercial break). In syndication, they retitled the individual episodes, "Return of the Evil Leaper" and "Revenge of the Evil Leaper," and actually overlapped both episodes from the moment Sam and Alia are being led to the warden's office to the moment where Alia is thrown into the broom closet and that guard tells her, "The warden's got plans for you, Angel... big plans!" I assume that's what you were referring to, Claire, about the weird segueway into "Revenge."

Okay, now that I've wasted enough time with this, I shall take my leave of you all for now. What, me obsessive-compulsive? Never!!! :p

Damon

Dman176 said:
As for "Trilogy Parts II & III," it was definitely easy to divide each part up because they're 2 separate leaps. The way it was originally broadcast was that it begun by showing scenes from Part I (no saga cell), and after leaping into Will Kinman, it went straight into the opening credits, immediately followed by the words "Trilogy Part II" in that fancy script on the black screen, with "Unchained Melody" playing in the background. Then, it cuts back to Sam and Abigail in bed together, and we see the date appear at the bottom, followed by the guest cast and production information for both parts. Now, the way QL normally works is that there's the saga cell/teaser/opening credits, 4 acts, and the ending credits, with commercial breaks in-between. For this movie (along with the pilot episode and LHO), there were 7 acts stretched out over 2 hours. Plus, whenever a 2-hour movie was shown, there were no commercial breaks in-between the teaser and Act 1. So, during Act 4, Sam leaped out of Will Kinman and into Larry Stanton, immediately going straight into Part III without listing the title or date. Basically, Act 4 of Part II and the teaser/Act 1 of Part III are all combined into the middle act of the 2-hour movie. They simply took out the shot of Sam looking in the mirror and saying, "Oh boy!" That shot does appear at the end of Part II in syndication, except it doesn't say "To be continued..." at the end.

OK, while we're discussing the differences between the original 2-hour airings and the edits in syndication, I have a question about the "Trilogy" episodes. Where did the individual titles for each epsiode come from? These would be, "One Little Heart," "For Your Love," and "The Last Door." I distinctly remember each of these episodes only being titled, "Trilogy, Part II," etc. Even in syndication the episodes still do not flash these titles anywhere. Were these titles made up for the episodes once they reached syndication?

QL Nut said:
OK, while we're discussing the differences between the original 2-hour airings and the edits in syndication, I have a question about the "Trilogy" episodes. Where did the individual titles for each epsiode come from? These would be, "One Little Heart," "For Your Love," and "The Last Door." I distinctly remember each of these episodes only being titled, "Trilogy, Part II," etc. Even in syndication the episodes still do not flash these titles anywhere. Were these titles made up for the episodes once they reached syndication?
That, I do not know either. I assume these were the titles that Deborah Pratt typed on the production scripts, maybe? I always thought it would have made more sense to include those titles with the date, you know, like after the fancy Trilogy font thing. Always wondered myself why they left them out.

It does list the individual titles in both the companion-sized The Complete Quantum Leap Book by Louis Chunovic and the novel-sized Quantum Leap: A to Z by Julie Barrett.

Damon

Hm...I think I agree with you that those titles were written on the original production scripts, only they were never actually shown on air. I don't know much about Julie Barrett's book, but given the fact that Chunovic's book states the titles (which I'm assuming the reissue was printed in late '93 or '94 [the first version I own doesn't include Season 5 and was printed in '93]) and was printed fairly soon after the end of the series, I doubt the titles were made up in syndication.

This isn't the only case where episodes are titled yet have no actual title during their airings. I've usually noticed that epsiode titles appear in TV guides or directories with shows that never display any titles. I guess the producers need to technically name their episodes as opposed to referring to them as "Episode 02, 03," etc.

Dman176 said:
"Return/Revenge" is the most awkward one in terms of how they decided to divide each leap up. In the original 2-hour movie version, it started with the saga cell, which then faded out and the words "Evil Leaper I — Reprise" appeared on a black screen as Scott's voice-over said, "Here are some scenes from Evil Leaper, Part 1" (which was "Deliver Us From Evil"). After those scenes (which I believe are slightly different in syndication), it fades to black again and says "Evil Leaper II," followed by Sam's leap-in, then the opening credits, followed immediately by Act 1 (no commercial break).

So, they gave away the surprise even before the episode started:eek

Grimlock said:
So, they gave away the surprise even before the episode started:eek
It wasn't much of a surprise. NBC had been promoting the Evil Leaper storyline since the summer before the new season even began. The week leading up to the first one (with Jimmy), the voice-over announcer for the commercial said something like, "The Evil Leaper has landed!" followed by Quantum Leap: The Evil Leaper flashing across the screen. They had even said that the Evil Leaper would first be introduced during the November sweeps period.

So, they did the same thing for the 2-hour movie (which aired at the end of the February sweeps period). NBC had advertised it as something like "a 2-hour movie event" and it said Quantum Leap: The Return of the Evil Leaper. It's hard to keep things under wraps during sweeps periods because the networks want to get as many viewers as possible to tune in and increase the ratings. ;)

Damon

Dman176 said:
It wasn't much of a surprise. NBC had been promoting the Evil Leaper storyline since the summer before the new season even began. The week leading up to the first one (with Jimmy), the voice-over announcer for the commercial said something like, "The Evil Leaper has landed!" followed by Quantum Leap: The Evil Leaper flashing across the screen. They had even said that the Evil Leaper would first be introduced during the November sweeps period.

So, they did the same thing for the 2-hour movie (which aired at the end of the February sweeps period). NBC had advertised it as something like "a 2-hour movie event" and it said Quantum Leap: The Return of the Evil Leaper. It's hard to keep things under wraps during sweeps periods because the networks want to get as many viewers as possible to tune in and increase the ratings. ;)

Damon

I was talking about the "surprise" return of the evil leaper. Looks like the Brits got the better version (the BBC doesn't show any revealing commercials).