Top 10 episodes from Season 2

Grimlock

Project QL Intern
Nov 6, 2005
The Netherlands
Well, having just finished watching season 2 on DVD i will try to give you a top ten of my favourite stories from that season. Keep in mind that most of these stories were new to me as i only discovered the show a season (or so) later (only caught a few repeats from this season). Oh, and please do add your own favourites (a top 3, a top 5 or a top 10, whatever you like) from this season. It would be interesting to see if the fans have a similar taste.

Grimlock's Top Ten Season 2:

1. Blind Faith - Sam leaps into a blind pianist, who has to stop a young woman from getting strangled. When he actually goes blind himself, he only has his dog and Al to help him prevent this horrible crime from taking place.

2. Good Night, Dear Heart - Sam leaps into a coroner, who gets enchanted by a young and very dead German woman. Sam becomes convinced that she didn't commit suicide, even though the local sheriff and even Al think otherwise, but that she was brutally murdered. It turns out to be a love story, but not the kind you would expect.

3. M.I.A. - Well, do i have to say anything about this? Sam leaps into a young police officer, who has to save the life of his partner. However, Al sees this leap as an opportunity to prevent his wife from falling in love with someone else while he is M.I.A. Al sends Sam on a false mission, but in the end Sam finds out and stops Al from changing his own personal history. All that rests Al is a final dance with his wife.

4. Jimmy - Sam leaps into a retarded young man. His big brother tries his best to protect him from going back to the institution, but as incidents occur he is forced by his wife to keep the promise he made to her. Sam decides to take matters into his own hands, as he has an ace up his sleave.

5. What Price Gloria? - Sam leaps into a woman for the first time. We see Sam struggling with being a woman, but he has to hold on as his/her roommate is in grave danger. The roommate gives her all for a married man, but when put on her number by his wife she decided to end her life.

6. Catch a Falling Star - Sam leaps into a man who is a stand-in at a theater play. He has to prevent the (arrogant) star of the play from breaking his legs which ultimately ends his career. But things get complicated when Sam meets his old pianoteacher and Sam falls in love with her all over again.

7. Her Charm - Sam leaps into a FBI agent, who has his hands full with protecting a woman who testified against a member of a criminal family. Not only is the woman a whining brat, Sam also discovers something that raises the stakes even further.

8. Maybe Baby - Sam leaps into the boyfriend of a stripper in Texas. He has just stolen a baby on her behalf, believing that she is the mother of the baby. This turns out to be a lie, as they get the police and the very angry father on their tail. Although she keeps telling him lies, Sam decides to believe her part of the story (that the mother of the baby is not actually dead, but lives in Mexico) at least until Ziggy comes up with something that makes sense. But when they are finally cornered, will Sam begin to finally lose faith in her?

9. Animal Frat - Sam leaps into a popular highschool kid on a fraternity. A few highschool kids are protesting against the war in Vietnam, but things will go wrong as they explode a bomb in the chemistry lab and someone gets killed. Sam has to prevent this from happening, especially as a girl by the name of Elisabeth will be on the run for the rest of her life because of it. But as she's a bright student and him being a wild thing, will he be able to win her trust?

10. All-Americans - Sam leaps into a Mexican kid, who likes to play American Football with his best friend Chuey. But when Cheuy's mother can't pay the rent, Chuey is persuaded by the vicious landlord to throw the game in return for acquittal of the owed rent. Sam tries his best to prevent this (even getting into a fist fight with the landlord), but in the end has to put his faith into Chuey, as he has to catch the final ball to win the game.

So, these are my favourites. I think that the top 5 on my list are strong enough to compete with the best episodes from the other seasons. There weren't actually episodes in this season i disliked, though a few i found to be a bit boring (Good morning Peoria, A Portrait for Troian and Pool Hall Blues). The rest of the stories were all good fun.

Mine would be....

Off the top of my head my favourites are (in this order)...

1) Honeymoon Express
2) MIA
3) Jimmy
4) Catch A Falling Star
5) Blind Faith
6) So Help Me God
7) The Americanization of Machinko
8) Good Morning Peoria
9) Another Mother
10) What Price Gloria

Overall a very strong series and second only to series three in my opinion.

xxx

I'm real easy to please. I loved 'em all!
I haven't seen Quantum Leap in years so I was stunned to discover how much I remembered (I was quite annoyed because a leap I remembered was trailed at the end of one show then never appeared...).

"The Americanisation of Machiko" was a wonderful piece of TV.
"Sea Bride" couldn't possibly be bad with it's echoes of 'A Philadelphia Story'.
"Her Charm" was very interesting.
"Good Morning, Peoria" (and numerous other episodes!) has had me playing loud rock and roll music.
And, stupidly, I watched "A Portrait for Troian" very late at night and got seriously spooked.

britishbecca said:
I'm real easy to please. I loved 'em all!
I haven't seen Quantum Leap in years so I was stunned to discover how much I remembered (I was quite annoyed because a leap I remembered was trailed at the end of one show then never appeared...).

"The Americanisation of Machiko" was a wonderful piece of TV.
"Sea Bride" couldn't possibly be bad with it's echoes of 'A Philadelphia Story'.
"Her Charm" was very interesting.
"Good Morning, Peoria" (and numerous other episodes!) has had me playing loud rock and roll music.
And, stupidly, I watched "A Portrait for Troian" very late at night and got seriously spooked.

About the trailers at the end bit......look into the DVD part of this forum for some answers (in short: some end-trailers were repeats from the first season).

As i said earlier, imho the top 5 listed by me could really compete with the best episodes from the other seasons. Which for me at the moment is only season 1 (as i've got that and season 2 on DVD). I've never seen season 3 except a few repeats (the biker and the bountyhunter episode spring to mind) and it's been 10 years since seeing season 4 and season 5. From what i do remember, i know that something special has to come along (in one of the episodes i have not seen, like "The Leap Home" or "Shocktheater") to beat the Trilogy episodes ( i remember being shaken by it for days).

P.S. Only 3 and a half weeks (the shop i get it from is only open on Thursday and Saturday) until i get my hands on the season 3 DVD :hurray:

Top 3 (don't have time for a top 10)

M.I.A.
Jimmy
Honeymoon Express (for the Sam/Al moments as well as the "meanwhile at PQL" type glimpses we get for the first time)

McDuck said:
Top 3 (don't have time for a top 10)

M.I.A.
Jimmy
Honeymoon Express (for the Sam/Al moments as well as the "meanwhile at PQL" type glimpses we get for the first time)

Well since these stories all have a strong Al centered flavor, this is hardly a surprise, is it Jen? :p

leaper1 said:
Well since these stories all have a strong Al centered flavor, this is hardly a surprise, is it Jen? :p

LOL Shouldn't be....since back in '95 I coined the term Al-coholic on rastql. <g>

Mine...

Ok, here it is...

1. THE AMERICANIZATION OF MACHIKO (They just don't do episodes like this on TV anymore.)

2. THOU SHALT NOT... (Made me get sentimental a lot. Made me laugh a lot, too. One of the qualities that will never be forgotten in Quantum Leap. It can make you drop some tears and then make you laugh right in the next instant.)

3. JIMMY (One of the best of the series.)

4. MAYBE BABY (My, my! What a great story! Great performances! Made me drop some tears in the end, and what Julie Brown says about the doll [a Barbie, I guess], it's totally true.)

5. FREEDOM (No tears, but sentimental, funny and somehow different.)

6. SO HELP ME GOD (Oh! No words. Deborah never misses the point.)

7. ALL AMERICANS (Donald, it's clearly seen he's a great television writer/creator; Paul Brown, my favorite QL writer. Great performances from everyone.)

8. WHAT PRICE, GLORIA? (Who wants to leap Sam into a woman? Deborah Pratt, of course! And how will that be? AWESOME!)

9. DISCO INFERNO (Not Paul Brown's best, but pivotal.)

10. M.I.A. (I really love it when Donald writes the season premieres and finals... Oh, wait, he always writes them [third season final excepting, but it's Deborah, and a cliff-hanger, wow!!!]... Even though, this is not an episode I really watch too much.)

Here is my top 10 list for season 2:

1. M.I.A.: The dance at the end of that episode with Georgia On My Mind playing in the background. There is not a more heartwrenching scene in the entire series. That is the biggest reason I hated the Season 2 DVD's There is no excuse for replacing that song.

2. Freedom: Kenu was hillarious. He had me laughing through the whole episode. For example;
Kenu: "George, Are ya gonna scalp him?"
Sam: "No."
Kenu: "Oh, too bad. If ever a man deserved scalping, he does."

3. Catch a Falling Star: Man of La Mancha with the undertones of Sam as Don Quixote and Al as his Sanco, Brilliance

4. Honeymoon Express: This one I always enjoyed. I really enjoyed Al trying to save the project in the future. Then trying to beg Sam to have Diane to call he father to stop the U2 from getting shot down. The end scene was the best.

5. Good Morning Peoria: Great soundtrack. Patricia Richardson, and Sam as a Rock and Roll DJ. Need I say more?

6. So Help Me God: I always liked the episodes where Sam leaped into a Lawyer. This one was particularly good

7. A Portrait for Troian: A haunting episode that stared Deborah Pratt. Could possibally be considered the first evil leaper episode. Carolyn Seymour played Pricilla Stoltz. She also played Zoe, The evil leaper's Hologram in season 5. Could this be the true orgin of Zoe??????????

8. Her Charm: Sam as a FBI Agent trying to save the life of a woman that he is falling for. Plus, we get to see a glimps ffrom Sams Past.

9. Animal Frat: I liked the Vietnam war undertones of this episode and Sam trying to help the radicals at the school fight the war. The scene when he said, "Look, I lost a brother in Vietnam, alright. So don't tell me I don't care." He should have won an Emmy

10. Pool Hall Blues: I love shooting Pool and my game is 9-Ball. An episode that is centered around the great game of pool, I love it. I have even considered getting a Tattoo that is pool themed. This would be it if I ever did.

Attachments

• Ying Yang.jpg
    Ying Yang.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
My 2 cents...for what its worth

There are only 5 outstanding eps in season 2 (in order of importance)

1. MIA - obviously, because you don't see acting like Dean's on TV much.

2. Jimmy - the best regular leap of the series, it has it all.

3. So help me god - like color of truth, its a leap with a message about racism

4. Honeymoon Express - as said in another post a "meanwhile at project QL" slant and it shows how sam small changes impact the future/present

5. Another Mother - often on ppl worst list (?) but sam is a female and its not played for novelty value and it has a good message and every time Al says the boy was never seen again i get chills.

The worst...
Good Morning, Peoria - just boring.

P.S. did anyone else notice on the region 2 DVDs the episode is title "Sea Bridge" not "Sea Bride"

What the...?

"Sea Bridge?"

Edit: Damn right. I've checked it out in the R2 pictures posted at Al's Place DVD site. So you can see how Universal cares for its shows (still). Music intact, but not good packaging and no subtitles/captions.

Last edited: